View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimike View Post
Hi Amanda

I just read your post and i am gutted for you, i had an L4-S1 done in Auckland nearly 2 years ago....i really feel for you and i am so amazed at your attitude towards this cockup, your amazing!, keep your chin up, the only thing i can suggest is the surgeon who did my back , he was fantastic and i hope it doesn't turn out to be the same guy, but if it isn't try giving him a call and see what he says, after all my research this guy was recommended to me by nurses and ex patients and anyone else i asked , they all the said the same thing, he's fantastic and the best in NZ...i had my fusion done in Auckland

you can read my story here if you want to know more about it...

this is the guy who worked on my back L4-S1 fusion with rods (he doesn't like the cage , reckons it's not as good and not as strong)

Michael J Barnes MBChB, FRACS
Spine Surgeon, Ph: 09-307 4281

call him and have a chat....i can't recommend him enough...

take care mate
Michael

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I have read your experience and am thrilled for you that all has gone well. There have been so many horror stories on this site that its just wonderful to read about someone who has had a positive experience! My surgeon was Richard Sommerville who came very highly recommended here in Hamilton (I live in Huntly). He was absolutely gutted that this happened and it was a first for him - nothing like this has ever happened to him before.....(YAY!! How special am I?!) He was good initially while I was in hospital but I kinda get the feeling I am now "persona non grata" - he even wanted to do my first followup by phone which my ACC Assessor thought was totally unacceptable and made THE phone call to rectify! I have been advised to "ask" (read "demand") that I be referred to a neurologist who is able to assess my injury and give me some much needed advice and info. I start passive physio on Wed for my leg - hot/cold therapy, massage and the T.E.N.S machine, so at least I feel like things are starting to be prioritised. Its been 2 1/2 weeks since the operation and I have had no problems at all with my back. I'm sure if it wasn't for the nerve injury, I too would have been one of the success stories. Bit of a bummer really. A nerve block injection was mentioned by a previous reply and I will look into this - anything that will stop this pain and maybe help me to be able to sit properly has got to be worth a try. Thank you all for your comments....it makes me feel less alone in this "club" and helps to keep me positive.

Cheers
Amanda
amandat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote