View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hydrocephalus, Nausea, and Cannabis

I was dx with middle age onset moderate to severe hydrocephalus in 2002 was hospitalized for almost a year for MRSA, then a subdural hematoma, and crainiotomy. I have had 7 shunt surgeries since (the last in 2006) after which I had grand-mal seizures and was also placed on steriods for a short time. I lost 80 lbs between 2006 and 2008 and I ran the American River 50 mile endurance run at age 50 in April of this year. I currently am running 9-15 miles per day and have been off meds since mid 2007. My weight is now stable but I sometimes have irritation at the peritoneal insertion site. My problem is that I have developed nausea that has become chronic. It starts as soon as I wake up in the morning and is there throughout the day. Running does not seem to affect it. The nausea comes suddenly and in waves. I have an appt. with my neurosurgeon later this week. I have a friend who is a Neuropsychologist and she stated that CSF is foreign to the peritoneum and that if I am draining well this could be the cause. She recommended cannabis. I tried it and it takes away the nausea almost immediately and for about 4-6 hours duration. Does anyone else use cannabis for nausea or are there better alternatives? Magnru
magnru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote