View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirldoll View Post
I had a permanent SCS placed on Saturday, two days ago. It has been a long time in being able to get it.
I have a Boston Scientific. The SCS trial was very successful. However, last December the doctor who tried to put in the permanent SCS punctured my dura twice, causing two spinal fluid leaks, and damaged nerves down my left leg. After a week in Intensive Care I was finally able to come home in much worse shape than I was previously.
I was determined to never do that again.
I'm a science teacher and I love what I do. For the past two years I've used a scooter to be able to continue teaching. I finally decided to give it another try with a doctor that travels around the country teaching other doctors how to do SCS implants.
He was successful on the second try. I have a "hard" back because of scar tissue.
Reading about your stories frightens me but I'm determined that something has to help. I'm 49 and I love to travel, to teach, and I have 2 young granddaughters that are a delight.
I have an artificial disc at L5 - S1. However, I fell off my bike and had to get a fusion on top of the artificial disc.
Kim
Kim,
Sorry to hear about your initial experience with the SCS implantation. Hopefully the new one is giving you some relief! Most of the time, a patient with pain will continue to have some pain issues no matter what is done. It's a challenge to find the best balance between intervention and meds and their side effects, and the pain.
Good luck!
paindrw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote