View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 10:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamietwo View Post

LOL! I had some problems. One thing I learned is that grinding rice in my juicer does NOT produce a fine flour! My pie crust was crunchy!! And of course, I subbed for the egg. I need to work on my variation some more. My teff pie crust was not terribly successful either - my 7yo suggested making pumpkin pie without a crust next time!

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!
If you want to get fine GF flours, Bob's Red Mill Flours are great. Not only are they finely ground, they use an ELISA gluten assey test to make sure they are not contaminated.

My apple pie turned out great. While it was baking, I was comparing my GF, DF recipe with a regular one. Mine had instructions for baking at 350 and the gluten ones had instructions for baking at 425. Worried that my apples weren't cooking, I turned up the heat to 425. The crust really started to fry at this heat, so I turned it back down after 10 minutes. By then, the crust had started to crack, and I worried that the pie was going to be a crumbly disaster. After it cooled, it turned out fine. Everyone liked the pie anyways. My only complaint was that the top crust was too dry, but I seem to have this dryness problem with GF baking anyways. The bottom crust was fine because it soaked up the juices from the pie filling. I'll have to post my apple pie recipe as it is yummy and doesn't use any refined sugars.

What I learned is that you can't cook GF, DF crusts at that high a temperature. Slow and steady seems to be the key.

Claire

Last edited by diamondheart; 11-24-2006 at 10:53 AM.
diamondheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote