View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk progress

Hi all. I realize time has passed but I want to report back. I've been doing the lymph drainage therapy weekly for about 3 mos now. I feel somewhat less symptomatic but have also been staying off of the computer and handwriting as little as possible. My therapist does a combination of lymph drainage and cranial-sacral therapy. It's not painful as Jenny described but there are times when it hurts for a moment as she breaks up a fascial train (I think this is the term). Other than that, she moves my head and neck and arms around and does the more subtle lymph drainage. Not as light as brushing the skin as Jo describes--but it is a light touch. I haven't had swelling of the arm or bruising into the hand (from when the vein backs up) for awhile. However I haven't been able to exercise to the extent that those symptoms might be problematic but I am optomistic that this combination of therapies is at least leaving me somewhat more able bodied. My flares are usually not as long lasting nor as bad but I did get a mighty one from the treatment last week. What is very interesting is how she can work on my head or neck and I will feel such a strong pulling into my elbows and even into the hands. It's an interesting realization of how connected these body parts are.

I'm looking forward to investigating the sites you've listed so that I can continue on with some self-help therapy myself. The one thing I did learn is to place the fingertips above the collar bones and press lightly into the swollen skin; hold for a count of 5 or so; remove them for the same count and repeat as necessary. It helps to get the lymph system flowing where it pools there.

BTW-I dd have a recommendation to try to wear a sleeve around my arm to keep the swelling from occuring during walking or exercise. It could be designed either for lymphedema or for athletes to warm their extremities pre-game. These can be found at places like Sportmart. The off-the-shelf ones are less expensive solutions. Both compress the arm while exercising or any time one wants to attempt to keep the swelling from appearing. The lympedema ones can be ordered online but you need to be measured. If anyone is interested I could try to get more details.

Here's an example of one but I think for me it should be the hand that should be compressed as a vascular surgeon rec.
http://www.jumpusa.com/nba_shooting_...FRhhnAodOzVr9w

be well!
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (12-02-2008)