View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused My 11 yr old son has some of the symptoms and I am scared

Hi there...

I don't know if finding this forum is good or bad. My 11 yr old son was in a freak boating mishap 6.5 weeks ago. Our boat went airborn and he was in the cuddy cabin with some buddies. He got knocked around the cabin and came down hard on a ledge hitting his spine in the middle of the shoulder bones. We heard the scream.

He was diagnosed by the family dr as having a sprain and strain since the xray was normal. The first week, he got better. AT the end of the week (was on darvocet) we let him go to a bday party. Next day he went to physical therapy and then his pain has gotten progressively worse instead of better.

2 weeks in, they gave him an MRI and the Cleveland Clinic said he probably micro fractured two vertebrae - could take up to a couple months to heal. Put him in a back brace for the pain.

Pain got worse, went from vicodin to percocets and ultrams.

After 5 weeks, went back to same doctor who said he was cured and was probalby faking the pain. But in the slim case he wasnt (he is not), it might be RSD and to see a Pediatric Nuerologist and Pediatric Pain Mgmt.

Then went to a party and talked to two friends of family who are adult nuerologists that told me that he was faking it since kids CAN NOT be in pain for more than 2 to 3 weeks - they heal to quickly. And that he was probably just addicted to the percocet.

My son is in all the gifted programs, plays ice hockey, soccer and is well liked - he is not faking!!

During this time went to the CC spine center where one doctor had no idea what was wrong and another doctor said go see your family physician. The family physician meanwhile said - oh you have the Cleve Clinic drs - go see them. Pass the potato the game is called.

Could not see a pedicatric Nuerologist so called up the ped ortho who said - well I will diagnose him with RSD so they will see him faster. So in a month, we go see the nuerologist.

His symptoms - pain that NEVER goes away - constant. Muscle spasms - very severe that causes him to scream sometimes - 4 to 10 times a day. Complains last week that it the pain is burning. We have not been able to touch his back at all in 6 weeks - extremely sensitive. But able to wear shirts and lay on his back. NO DISCOLORATION except mottling on one day last week.

So he does have a couple symptoms but def. missing some of the others. I do NOT want him to have RSD. I read your stories and others and I have no idea how you all deal with this. Had no idea it even existed till last two weeks.

I have heard that if it is found early - remission is possible - anyone know of this?
Anyone been tested for other nerve disorders it might be? I am grasping at straws since it is tearing me apart to not be able to take the pain away.

Please email me if you would like. There is so much information out there, it is tough trying to weed thru it all.

Finally, I have read a lot of the stories on this forum and they have brought me to tears but I am so surprised at the bravery you guys show every day. I hope my son does not have this - but I have found a new disorder to support since after learning about this - you can not forget it.

Happy Holidays. Crunch
crunchberry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote