View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ditto ditto ditto

I have had puffiness and swelling in several areas of my upper body, neck and arms.

When I drive too much, and even riding too, (several to about 8 hours with stops) swelling and tightness occurs pretty significantly in my chest, shoulders and neck (scalene area - both sides) muscle spasms flaring too... (taking half a Flexeril after a driving episode helps arms a lot) I call it "Flexible PRN"

Has anyone discovered you shouldn't eat a peanut butter sandwich after you've driven too much? chokecity

After botox injections for my scalenes X3, even several years later, when I drive too much, my neck will swell and feel really tight. Then a few days later I'll have like these little flap things happen. (flaps not painful-don't last long-usually noticeable when I get up about the 3rd morning through that afternoon) Like my scalenes relaxed quicker than the swelling stuff dissipated. So I do think a lot of the swelling we're experiencing is our own body fluids (any fluid) trying to heal, or splint, the sites. Just tight and painful to touch... makes me very irritable to do tasks, moving to do anything with my arms and hands for a few days - hypersensitive!!!!!!!

Also the Kinesio Tape I've used is designed to lift the skin enough to allow the lymphatic fluids to flow. (That's how my PT introduced the Kinesio Tape to me.) It helps me!!!! No medication. not a miracle, though. if you're taped too tight it will cause muscle spasms. you would need a little instruction directed to your needs and you and a buddy could do it.

Kinesio Tape was the black tape on the US Olympic Volleyball player's shoulder. I do recommend you seek that out. I'm amazed and thankful for this tidbit of relief.

And to compress and keep my arms warm, my therapist cuts what I've dubbed to be "arm socks" She said it's what they use to cover the skin on your arm before casting broken bones. I can find out more info if anyone wants to know an exact name for the material. Kind of like gauze material, for your arms.... tubular
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (12-02-2008)