View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I have been on social security disability for about 3 years. I got approved the first time out, which I hear is rare for MS.

I might be forced to get a part time job to help out and wonder this...

HOW MUCH CAN I EARN WITHOUT IT EFFECTING MY SSI?

AND

DO THEY START LOOKING AT YOU WHEN YOU START WORKING PART TIME?

Thanks for helping out.

You have been given bits and pieces of correct and incorrect answers. Even your question is incorrect. The Social Security Administration administers TWO, (2!!!) separate and distinct disability programs with TWO (2!!) separate and distinct rules regarding work activity. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). One based on paying into the Social Security system enough years and the other based on being needy. One is welfare. One is not.

Your question asks about Social Security Disability in the first paragraph and Supplemental Security Income in the third paragraph. The answers you have been given are partially correct and partially incorrect. Therefore, reliance on the answers you've been given is a dangerous course of action.

Go to ssa.gov and read the entire Red Book. Take notes. It should answer all your questions. But first, figure out what program is sending you checks every month. Your award notices should give you a clue. One will have a title Supplemental Security Income and the other Social Security Disability, Retirement and Survivor's benefits.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote