View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Reply re Fibro and PT

Hi Wittesea,
I will share with you my experiences. I was on the other board btw.

I have multiple disorders including fibromyalgia, and have gone through therapy for them. I have worked for a PT hospital in the past and have seen what goes on with fibro patients going through therapy. The best thing that ever happened to me was when my rheumatologist suggested I go to a certified massage therapist that she recommended, and go on a regular basis. It took time to note a difference, but I had to face up to the fact that the massage therapy twice a month using the trigger point therapy was doing me more good at that time than the physical therapy. I could exercise all I wanted at home and that helped, but my money was better spent on the massages. Yes, that was out of pocket. Then I realized that the hypnomassages were even better with the trigger point therapy because I was more relaxed and the therapy worked better. I was able to get more benefit out of it, and eventually needed to go to massages less a month. That didn't preclude the need to walk and exercise at home. I used bands, and other stretch items that are used in therapy.

I just went through physical therapy for my shoulder for tears that were not operated on (a whole other story, I don't have full use of my arm), and we purchased the therapy equipment to use at home because it is of good benefit for my fibromyalgia and my other problems. A lot cheaper than physical therapy 12 months a year.

I understand what you mean about the therapists pushing, etc. In fact, the rheumatologist's partner pushed and made me do exercises that injured my shoulder more per the orthopedic. You have to set boundaries for your body. If nothing else, check out a pool therapy class for fibromyalgia patients in your area.
Lynda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote