View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 11:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good to read all is good now Melody, your son sounds very cluey.
Mrs D, is spot on as always i fully agree, backup all important files to disc's, never know from 1 minute to the next minute what could go wrong when using pc's.
I run Adaware, Spybot, AVG at least twice a week, its amazing how much crap gets picked up along the way, and sometimes i run an online frebbie like trendmicro as well too.
System restore can sometimes save you when your in deep trouble, its easy to use, all you have to do is follow the prompts, it will show you options of what days you can go back to, if one doesn't work then just try another day, XP has made a copy of your files at differant times, real handy program.
I haven't lost any files as far as i know when i have used it,but still backup
important files to media is the only way your really safe.

I have been only using PC's for a very short time, since getting PN about 3 years all up, just sorta learnt as was going along and i am still learning, at first PC's seemed complicated and i would rather have driven a 15 speed road ranger box down the side of a mountain anyday, now that is easy for me, but computors appeared to be difficult to learn, but turned out they aren't as hard as i thought, System Mechanic was recommened to me from a PC expert when i knew completely nothing about pc's, i have never had any trouble using it in all that time, it searches for junk and only junk is deleted, it checks for registry problems and only gives you the crap thats in there[ that can cause big problems] and then you only delete the crap, nothing else, i haven't had a problem using it in the 3 years i have been using it, in my experience using it i have found it very safe to use, especially the programs i mentioned, it does have other programs that you do need a bit of PC knowledge [not much ] as McFox mentioned, but i didn't say to mess around with the other programs, only those easy ones that i mentioned , especially its tool of deleting unwanted programs, i am pretty sure it would have found any remains of that win pro if it was still lerking around, i highly recomend it.[ wish i had shares in the company] i run it very often and its surprizing how much junk it picks up.

Seeing your interested in learning a bit, here is a tip that gets rid of a lot of garbage in XP OS, useless files, but only do it about every 3 months, go to windows exployer/ d/click on C[ local disk] go down to windows then d/click, then run down to "prefetch folder" d/click again then go to edit [up top of page] click "Select All" then go to "file" [up top as well] run down to delete and click it, then just close windows exployer and carry on as normal.
You will be amazed how much uneeded stuff is in there, but only do it every few months, do not do it every week.
take care
Brian
PS- there is a lot of PC forums on the net, like http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/ they are free to join and they are very helpfull when your in a bit of trouble.

Last edited by Brian; 11-24-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote