View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've noticed a change in my senses as well. My sense of smell isn't as strong as it used to be, but it's still there The more offensive odors come through like dog poop and the cat box, and very strong food odors like frying onions and bacon. I can still pick-up coffee though, which is a good thing.

My sense of taste is quite diminished so that things such as chicken soup taste like dishwater. I never say anything because I don't want to offend the cook, but it's plain flat. As good as a piece of roat beef looks, there's barely any flavor to it. I find myself reaching for the salt shaker more, and eating more spicy food than I did before with black pepper being my best friend for soups, meat and mashed potatos.

I've also noticed that without the other real flavors in food, that the base tastes are still there, but almost exagerated. Salty potato chips are really salty, and sweet foods such as a candy bar or ginger ale are extra sweet. At first I figured that it was the food processors putting extra ingredients to help sell more stuff, but that's not the case. It appears that I'm the only one that tastes the extra sweetness in the ginger ale with only a bare hint of the real flavor.

As a result of this, I find I have little enthusiasm to eat. I eat because I have to, not because I want to and I used to love to eat prior to this.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote