View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules A View Post
Hi All! Frank's Angel's thread made me think of why I am doing the job I do now...thanks to MS. In a funny way even though I would have been quite content to continue on as I was before dx becoming a nurse has been wonderful so I guess I can't complain, too loud.

Anyhoo, what have you done to prepare for what this nasty disease may toss our way? Maybe we can share ideas and be more ready for the future.

Me:

I went back to school for a more flexible career

I'm holding on to my crappy little ranch house because its in a great location and the set up would be very easy to modify if/when the time comes

JULES, WHAT A GOOD QUESTION TO POSE TO ALL! -- Thanks!

Here is what we did:
(1) My wife and I dedicated all of our time to buying and paying off our house.
(2) We maxed out our life insurance policies.
(3) Paid off all credit cards (minus business cards).
(4) Purchased a scooter, walker and cane in advance,..., just in case.
(5) I found a bunch of biologists who are willing to work using a barter system of sorts, so that if I could not go to a project site, they could. I would not have to pay them for the work but rather get them projects for themselves --- and it has been working great for everyone.

Here is what I should have done but failed to do:
(1) Put the house in my wife's name only.
(2) Paid for a lond-term disability policy
(3) Added a "rider" to my University of California health insurance plan years ago so that I could have kept the insurance longer, before going to a COBRA plan and then an outlandish PPO with Anthem Blue Cross. The "rider" is no longer offered by the University of California, so I really missed the boat on that one.
(4) I should have kept playing golf as long as possible....

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jules A (12-06-2008)