View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default sugar and snake oil

1) I have not tried to eliminate sugar but there is ample reason to. PWP have problems with controlling blood sugar. Further, they are sensitive to small fluctuations in the level as well. Someone (Rosebud?) has done a lot of work on her own relationship with sugar and may have something to add. Also, though he may not see this thread, Tom Isaacs was telling me just a couple of days ago that he was taking a sort of sugar holiday and having good results. Tom?

One interesting thing to ponder- PD was very rare both before and after James Parkinson published his pamphlet in 1817. But it gradually increased over the next 75 years or so when a Frenchman named Charcot named it after JP. What was happening in England during the pivotal period of, say, 1750 to 1850? The obvious answer is the Industrial Revolution with its stress and pollution. But there is another:

"Sugarcane quickly exhausts the soil in which it grows, and planters pressed larger islands with fresher soil into production in the nineteenth century as demand for sugar in Europe continued to increase: average consumption in Britain rose from four pounds per head in 1700 to eighteen pounds in 1800, thirty-six pounds by 1850 and over one hundred pounds by the twentieth century."

That's Wikipedia so verify, but it does give one pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Two questions:

1. has anyone tried to eliminate refined sugar entirely from their diet and if so, what specific effect(s) did that have on your PD? I am not talking about things like bread which has minimal amounts of sugar added to it (although it converts very quickly into sugar in the body) but things like candy, ice cream, cookies, even juice and of course, sodas without a doubt. Things which are pretty much entirely sugar when they first go into our mouths, and which we love so much (just in time for the holidays!);

2. John Coleman, an Australian, claims to have recovered from stage 4 PD and early stage PSP, I think he said. I have yet to read his book, but apparently he made radical lifestyle and dietary changes. I was all into jumping on this for my husband, but then as I delved into his website(s), I realized he has a tiered system for participating in "recommending" others to become "members" at fifty bucks a month.

Now, I know people have to make a living, but the rather hidden, at least to me, way in which I stumbled upon this tiered system makes me wonder whether he is legit. He also sells these water drops that are supposed to help the cells take up the water you drink and cleanse out toxins, etc. He clearly and upfront says he cannot cure anyone, but can help one "regain their health". I can find no testimonials from peolel who have tried his method or water drops, and that casts doubt as well. Anyone have any experience with this fellow or his water drops, or know anyone who has, and what were the results? Thanks.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote