Thread: Vp shunt pain
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Jaidee, I had a big problem with pseudocysts back in 2006. I had had two surgeries in two months. One to place a programmable valve(in August) and another about 2 weeks later cause that valve was faulty(September). Anyways, over the next couple of months I had severe stomach pain. I was hospitalized in October when a pseudocyst in my stomach became infected. They drained the cyst and I went home but the pain only stayed a way for a short time before it was back. I went through December and the end of the year keeping a heating pad on my stomach almost 24/7 due to the pain. In January I had another pseudocyst drained(that was what was causing all the pain). My neurosurgeon decided that the scar tissue in my stomach (due to the 2 shunt surgeries I had had on my stomach because of the VP shunt) was the cause of all the pseudocysts. He said it was a problem that would continue to occur over and over and decided that the best course of action was to move my shunt from my stomach to the pleural cavity(around the lungs). I haven't had any stomach pain since he did that in January of 2007. Its been around a month so you may already know what was causing your stomach pain, but if you haven't its something to ask your doctor about! ~Melissa~
Melissa21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote