View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithS View Post
As he continued to explain, his point did not seem to be that it was determined not to be accurate, but, instead, that research indicates that the brain is actually very adept at making new pathways.

He was very hopeful in that, with MS, damaged myelin does not need to mean permanent damage, as pathways are known to re-route themselves. As we learn more about how to help the brain to activate this process, with specific activiites, we can be hopeful.

I did not word this exactly the way that he did, but I hope I managed to convey some accuracy in what he was trying to say.

~ Faith
I have been fascinated with the field of "neuroplasticity" for the last year. PBS has done several specials on this (look in your local listings for anything with the word "brain" in it!) and there's a lot of info. out there in general. Truly fascinating. The thing about re-routing though is that some areas of the brain are more adept at this than others so it depends where the damage has been done. But -- there's a lot of research being done on neuro-regeneration too! For more info. on neuroplasticity: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ticity&spell=1
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote