View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
I hope you'll feel better soon Kelly, maybe you picked up some bacteria somewhere and the amoxicillin will help.

I took Rocky in to see his vet. This guy is really good, we've been going to him for over 20 years now. He's explaining cystitis to me as he holds Rocky and massages his bladder. The tech held a collection dish under him. He actually got a urine sample and it was pink. They cultured it and then explained all the results to me. He has something called idiopathic cystitis. Bladder/urinary inflammation with no known cause.

He wants me to push water on him, add it to his dry food, and get him a fountain water dish. The other vet there has done this and it completely cured the problem.

There were no crystals or signs of bacteria in the sample so that's how he knew it was this type. If this doesn't work then we'll try the diet next. If it turns into a blockage there are more things that can cause it and it can be an emergency. They can die within hours. So I need to watch him, push the water, measure his output and keep extra litter boxes around the house.

He's still playing hard and eating well, just has the straining problem, the poor baby.
I'm so glad it was easily treated. The doctor told me that Tigger had crystals and I had to give him an abx for a few days. I think the prescription food tends to make him thirsty and he drinks more. I change out their water several times a day since they drink so much. Tigger's vet actually gave him IV fluids for a while so that his system could flush itself out. That seemed to help a lot. I was just so glad that he didn't have to stay overnight! Think they would have let me stay with him??
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (12-06-2008), ewizabeth (12-06-2008), FinLady (12-06-2008), Vonn07 (12-06-2008), weegot5kiz (12-06-2008)