View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Newly Diagnosed with RSD

I am a 43 year old mother of 3 who participated in sports for many many years. I now watch my children participate in sports and I love it. During my son's football practice in late September,I began power walking with another mom and I stepped off the sidewalk onto an uneven surface and rolled my ankle - I heard the ankle pop and it began to swell up to a grapefruit size.

After seeing to orthopedic doctors who basically told me I had a sprained ankle and to get up and walk... even after I told them the pain was so severe it was keeping me awake at night. I had been called a hypochondriac and a drug addict (because I needed the strong pain pills to try and sleep at night). I was finally referred to Dr. Stephanie Jones a pain management doctor who believed me. She read my bone scan and immediately scheduled me for an epidural nerve block which helped tremendously and I slept for 24 hours straight. I hadn't slept that long in 3 months. The pain is subsiding some and I am forever grateful to her. I thought I was losing my mind.

I am really interested in why this particular ankle sprain triggered RSD when in all of my years of playing sports and spraining ankles and breaking bones I have never felt the symptoms until now.
scoobymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote