View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default I'm not totally convinced yet

I'm not totally convinced yet...

The problem I've noticed with a lot of these studies over the past few years that have been done into neurofeedback and ADHD is the way they've been conducted including the very small number of participants usually.

The one above has 23 children. I've not read the original article yet, but that's what it says there. There was one study out of New Zealand with seven children. The last one I've posted uses 18. The list goes on. If they're serious about this, they need to sort out their clinical trial criteria and at least start using larger sample sizes.

J Atten Disord. 2003 Sep;7(1):43-55.
EEG biofeedback vs. placebo treatment for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a pilot study.

Heywood C, Beale I.
Arohanui Special School, Te Atatu South, Auckland, New Zealand.

Quote:
METHOD: Seven children diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) were trained using a standard EEG biofeedback treatment protocol designed to alter SMR/theta ratios and reduce behavioral symptomatology diagnostic of ADHD.
http://www.biof.com/linden.html
A CONTROLLED STUDY OF
THE EFFECTS OF EEG BIOFEEDBACK
ON COGNITION AND BEHAVIOR OF CHILDREN
WITH ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDERS
AND LEARNING DISABILITIES

Michael Linden, Ph.D.; Thomas Habib, Ph.D. Vesna Radojevic, Ph.D.
Mission Psychological Consultants

Quote:
The treatment group (N=9)
Quote:
The control waiting list group (N=9)
Quote:
Further research utilizing double-blind placebo designs and larger sample size are needed to support and replicate the finding. In addition, larger sample sizes are needed to determine if this treatment protocol is more effective with children having only ADD, LD or a combination of ADD, ADHD and LD.