View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up

oh i see, im back at great ormond street next monday to finalise my neurosurgeons suggestion of converting my VP shunt to a VA shunt, due to my peritoneum not absorbing the fluid as well as it should do as shown up by mulitple ultrasounds, so into the heart the catheter will go. it comes with its risks of major infection of the blood stream, but im willing to take that risk because when this stomach pain starts, bloody hell i could cry my eyeball out!!
after reading up about this, i found that the excessive fluid in the abdomen is called Ascites. this is suppose to be a VERY rare complication caused by VP shunts but it is known. In most of these cases the VP shunt get moved into the Pleural cavity or the heart, symptons are suppose to resolve straight away.

i dont get the need for the bathroom, but i think ive noticed a pattern, although im not quite sure...but i think my pain starts to get a bit stronger on an empty bowel and bladder. although not always.

i cant wait for this pain to resolve, i have had this pain now for 90 days more or less. its a total joke.

hope you get sorted soon x
jadiee-x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote