View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question not true

Hi! I had Aetna for my 4 surgeries.

The first surgery was in-state but not in my city. The Dr. was in the Aetna HMO Network. This guy knew nothing of TOS and did me serious damage. Lucky for me he didn't attempt the rib resection, but he mangled a nerve in my rt arm and caused some scar tissue.

After this botched surgery, a Forum member (Beloved Beth) directed me to one of the top TOS surgeons in Denver. He sent a letter to Aetna - and I spoke directly to Aetna, explaining the need to go out of state. I do believe "Dr. A" accepted Aetna Insurance. I was cleared for the next 3 surgeries! Aetna realized the 'expense' of sending someone to a surgeon who is clueless.

My last surgery (bi-lat pec minor disinsertion) fell at the end of my coverage - literally 4 weeks from cancellation. For costs associated with the hospital that I had to pay out of pocket, I was able to write a letter to the Hospital board requesting assistance as I was unable to work now. That last procedure ended up costing me $13. I did agree to pay my surgeon his requested amount (which he discounted for me), so that was more.

I hope my dealings with Aetna haven't made it harder for you. They now know what is involved - the PT required, the risks involved and the need for surgical assistants (which requires advanced approval from Aetna).

If your surgeon is not in the Aetna Group, his office staff could get him signed up - if you ask. PM me if you need any of my reports to jogg Aetnas' memory. maybe you'd have better luck seeing my surgeon?

good luck!
Anne

"It is what it is."
astern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (12-13-2008)