Thread: Checking?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, yes, this is what my husband says a lot- there is no safe. He suffers from bouts of confusion that we have found come during times when he feels most unsafe. It helps him to know that he is trying to keep himself and our family from getting hurt rather than that he is simply incapable. Which he is not, he is highly intelligent.

I read one person's explanation, I wish I could find it again and if I do I'll send you the web address, that said that those with PTSD are the strong, not the weak. They are the survivors, not the succumbers. They make deals with themselves in the midst of trauma to survive and they do- they get through it. Unfortunately, after the trauma is over they are stuck in survival mode. Then they cannot function in society because they do not look at things the way "normal" People do. And to be honest I am wondering if there is "normal"! The way she put it really validates that a person with PTSD has a reason for it and it got them through something horrible and now they are simply stuck in survival, not second class citizens.

Hang in there! I'm rooting for you,
Deb