Thread: That Fabric...
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Wow, Alffe, this is getting waaaay deeper than I ever go. But along the same lines as your last quote, it brought to mind this LDS scripture:

NEPHI II
CHAPTER 2
11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

I guess what we all seek is BALANCE. But it's the opposition that makes us grow.

I watched a Hallmark movie last night about a man with Tourette's Syndrome, "Front of the Class." When he received the Teacher of the Year award, specifically for first-year teachers, he thanked his parents, etc. for helping him achieve it. But ultimately he thanked his "constant companion", Tourette's, for being his greatest teacher.

I was a pretty sensitive child with very few friends. The change for me came when I finally realized that not everyone was going to like me. And that it was okay, because I was still a good person.

I also think that playing piano helped me immensely. I had many opportunities to shine with very average talent, even though I was young. I won 2nd place in the 3rd grade talent show. The 6th grade teacher had me sight reading the Caissons go rolling along song for the other kids to sing. I played in church from the time I was 11. The kids still either shunned me or picked on me. BUT, at least I had an identity that I could live with.

I guess where I'm going with this (thinking as I type here) is that the more sensitive a person is, that perhaps they have a greater capacity for joy.

But wait, you already said that, Alffe! More eloquently stated by Kahilil Gabran: "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy
you can contain."

Not sure if any of this makes sense to anyone but me, but it was a great therapy session, so thanks for listening!

Now I feel like Moi, spilling his guts. But I love Moi and know him better because of it, so I guess it must be okay.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (12-08-2008), Alffe (12-08-2008), Burntmarshmallow (12-09-2008), DMACK (12-08-2008), doxiemama (12-08-2008), mistiis (12-08-2008), Nik-key (12-09-2008)