View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Sheffield's life savers - Tasmania, Australia

Just adding on a story here. I just watched it on TV. The transcript is not yet available, but it should be in the next day or so I should imagine. After losing a large number of people to suicide within a short period of time, this little country town decided they needed to work out what they could do to prevent this from happening again in the future. I think they said they got about 200 people from the town together for a meeting and then went from there. Now they run short courses so that people can learn more about suicide prevention and depression. It was a very good programme and really made me think about how valuable it would be for everyone to do one of these courses.

http://www.abc.net.au/landline/conte...6/s1794064.htm
Sheffield's life savers

Reporter: Pip Courtney
First Published: 26/11/2006

Between 1999 and 2003 the small rural town of Sheffield in northern Tasmania was left reeling when 10 locals committed suicide.

Perplexed that so many people had missed, or just didn't know what the warning signs were, the town set up a suicide intervention program.

It's been a big success, and now Sheffield hopes other rural communities around the country will adopt it too.

(Full transcript will be posted when available)
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote