View Single Post
Old 11-25-2006, 10:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb my grandson, autistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIZARD View Post
I read this just a couple of days ago, and Christine's question about whether or not it was okay for her to like Disney Princess struck me like lightning as I realized that's what my son has been asking me about several things. He'll say something like, "Do I like Sesame Street or too old?" WOW...He's getting it!!!!!!! We're turnin' corners like crazy!!!!!
LIZARD
Hi Lizard. It is so good to hear you say, "turnin' corners like crazy!!!!!" because my 3 year old (in August) grandson was diagnosed a year ago with developmental delays and aversion to hugs, aversion to facial or head touch, an upper lip that had never worked, impoverished speech for age and several other lags that became apparent over the next 6 months.

He displays an inability to respond to directives like "don't squeeze the cat" ... but just this past Spring I only noticed that he would NOT stop at the curb, but would run pell mell into the street - the same with running away from his family at the park. There WAS no stopping him, only chasing him til they could catch up.

He was approved for 5 day a week special ed (he LOVES taking the bus, like his big sister). But my daughter has said that some of his teachers definitely recognize what they describe as autism, and even my daughter accepts it, tho it hurts like mad.

They are spending days in their car driving from Maryland to San Antonio and then back at Christmas, all because they know they could not handle him in the airports, the lines and the airplanes. It is difficult for me to conceive. What is particularly sad is that my daughter had long said that she would never have a second child for fear the baby be born with the severe learning disabilities that her little sister has -- and here is a child who is much more severely disabled.

I am heartened, tho, to read in this article about how it is speculated that their are MANY kinds of autism, hopeful that his will be one where he can acheive a lot of improvement. I am told that his speech is much easier to understand already.

I have recently read about how successful one-on-one programs can be - but know he will be limited in one-on-one in public schools. However, I do hope that he will be one of those who can be in a (regular?) classroom without an aide sometime during elementary school. This is all so new for me.

Teri
OneMoreTime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote