Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix7 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this board,

I was attacked at work - where I still work now - got PTSD, Self harmed when the flashbacks got too much and seem to have developed a "checking" habit - I check my car doors over and over again to make sure they are locked and the doors and windows of my flat - it's a safety thing - I realise that it's because I don't feel safe anywhere now - What I'm wondering is, does anyone esle out there check things ? or used to -if so how do you stop? I have tried - I check once and as I check I say - see that's locked - it's ok - but as I walk away I get a feeling like something bad will happen if I don't check again - I know that's dumb -but at this stage I can't seem to stop.....
Hi. I'm not a doctor. I suffer from the same type of thing. It sounds like you have developed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I have this disorder,and I know exactly what you are talking about. I started getting better when my doctor prescribed Luvox. The intensity of those thoughts lessened.
The thought of the door being unlocked is the obsession. Checking the door over,and over is the Compulsion. You feel a strange feeling that you have to check that door. I know to much about this,and I'm sorry that you are suffering with it. Please talk to a doctor who knows about these things. Brokenfriend.