View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Attitude is important

Alicia,

i'm afraid none of us gets the life in the picture we carry around in our heads. We get the life we get. No one knows if we get another one, so we have to live the one that's available.

I'm 63, diagnosed at 53, had symptoms appearing since 43. I'm doing "remarkably well" according to my neurologist in his clinical notes for my last visit, and I had gone for 12 hours without any medications (usually the interval is 4 hours for me at this time) for that visit. I also have osteoarthritis and had a hip replaced two years ago. I had to retire at 56, but I cook dinner almost every day for my husband and myself, I still crochet, make jewelry, and sing soprano in the church choir. Last summer my beloved spouse and I took a 6000-mile car trip (and we're still married!). For my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I taught myself to knit.

When I do struggle with movement, I like to say, That's just how my body works now. When someone commends my courage, i think, What choice do I have? but I say, Everyone's got to have something to overcome, and this is what I got.

it's not the end of the world, nor a punishment for anyone's wrongdoing. It will sneak up on you and surprise you, but don't be afraid of it. When the time comes to bear more, you just may find you're ready to bear more.

There are a lot of resources. I think the NPF website at www.parkinson.org is particularly thorough and well organized. Try the tab "About Parkinson Disease" to get started. Support groups and other activities and benefits can be found through the Parkinson Foundation of the National Capitol Area at www.parkinsonfoundation.org.

Wishing you and your family well,
Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote