View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I wonder how that translates into behavior and if it is related in any way to lack of inhibition. I've talked to others who feel their entire personality changed with PD. But the inhibition switch being disabled is not limited to PD.

I have a friend who is my age and almost died of an aneuryism [sp?]. She had to be taught how to do everything again - eating, etc. She is completely rehabilitated except for one very very serious problem - she has no short term memory. She had us over for Thanksgiving dinner this year, but doesn't remember Thanksgiving at all. She must have a caregiver, even tho she looks normal.

Her personality changed from the event. She used to be quiet, sat and listened [I didn't know her then]. Now she is very outgoing, and doesn't hesitate to jump up and dance - sometimes even a little Goldie Hawn style with a pole like the go go dancers used to do. She never drinks a drop or does any drugs - this is just the new her..lol She is happily married, and her husband just accepts her new behaviors. But he mourns the loss of the woman she was - not because of her pole dancing - but just because they "both" died that night to what life used to be like.

We make quite a pair cognitively. I don't pole dance, lol, my lack of inhibition is expressed on the Internet to you lucky people who have to read it...lol. Because of physical problems that are making me look like an old drunk half the time, I don't like being in the social limelight physically. PWP can look drunk, sound drunk, [several doses of sinemet make me ramble and slur and so does being off] , and because we become uninhibited we act drunk....well aren't we the lucky social butterflies?

But if inhibition, or lack of it, is part of the core problem behind these destructive behaviors like gambling and sex addiction, it is a very serious problem.

just wondering
paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote