View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you so much for this. I think I will take along a stuffed animal for comfort, that's a great idea.

I've also got to have electrical nerve condition tests and Pain Management as well as some other tests... not so nervous about them, its just the idea of a great big needle being inserted into my spine and then fluid drained off.

Thank you very, very much for your help.

Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
Hi, Sue,

I don't know that I know what a lumbar puncture is; it's possible I may have heard it by a different name.

Though I understand that it's all pretty scary, the best thing happening right now is that the neurologist (by what you've relayed) doesn't appear to be messing around.

I've had EMGs/NCVs - also by a neurologist.

I don't know when your testing is scheduled, yet if time permits, I would suggest calling the neurologist's office and ask whether there are certain things you should/should not do prior to your appointment time. For instance, I know that my neurologist tells all patients to use no lotion.

As baby-ish, too, as it may strike some: I've always taken a small stuffed animal; not only does it help distract attention from what the neurologist is doing, it also something to squeeze if/when there is discomfort.

For me, the worst part of the testing was on one of my palms and my lumbar spine. But... that crummy sensation did not last an eternity.

Any/all of the tests you're having, chances are: Your neurologist or the doc's staff can give you information (often it's called something such as "Patient Education" or "Patient Information) about the testing.

Just don't be afraid to ask questions .
susanjpullen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote