View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
The reason you are not being allowed by your computer to reinstall Windows is because the disk you have is old. Stating what you already know, I know, but there is a reason.

Microsoft stopped supporting older versions of Windows XP. The version you have on disk is one of the older, unsupported versions.

In order to get security and critical updates, you must have a minimum of what's called, 'Service Pack 2' usually abbreviated to SP2 - this is one a range of updates rolled out by Microsoft since the development of Windows XP.
You can install any legal version of XP, with or WITHOUT SP2 even now (I have a copy provided BY Microsoft for partners that does NOT have any SP at all and just reinstalled it on the 10th of Nov.

However to get updates, you do have to run the validation tool and you really do need sp2 to avoid LOTS of extra updates. I always run sp2 after I've finished the installation of xp so I have a working firewall and then add a/v and a real firewall. Then I go for the other updates.

But bottom line, unless the cd has a scratch in it or something, any version of xp can be installed with or without sp2.

Microsoft just discontinued updates on the version without sp2 installed. Liz
Adhesive Capsulitis, both shoulders | Mild Scoliosis | Arthritis of Spine |
Spinal Stenosis | 2 herniated disks | 2 Nerve blocks: November 2005, December 2005 |
Laminectomy with spinal fusion of L4/L5/S1 and 6 screws for support 13 March 2006

southernlady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote