View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 12:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thanksgiving proved to be a beautiful day here in Ohio. husband ran a 10 kl race (says he used to walk faster than his present time) in the early AM, played 5 holes of golf (badly, he says--his goal now is to shoot his weight) and then fried 2 turkeys! Our family was introduced to fried turkeys by my brother-in-law in lake charles, La. 10 yrs ago and we have prepared our T'giving turkeys by frying them since. this year we had just enough food for everyone--only left overs were the desserts (which we do not need in our house). our 3 adult children were here, and daughter's present boyfriend. boys' girlfriends were at their parents. we also had numerous friends who were without family plans/obligations.
my niece's husband, who was diagnosed initially with Parkinson's 2 days prior to my husband's diagnosis in Aug, 2002, has been re-diagnosed with Lewy bodies with dementia. He is but 58 yrs of age, and was formerly a practicing gastroenterologist. The Sinemet, Mirapex, Ritulex, etc. results in such erratic responses--sometimes he is somewhat lucid and mobile, other times he is crawling on the floor, or lying in a frozen position. He was admitted to the hospital recently and they experienced the horrors of inadequate medicating/inability to adapt any schedule rules, etc. that others on this site have shared. Unfortunately, lewy bodies with dementia does not respond well to medication, or anything else it seems.
I began this post as a thanksgiving one--and I am thankful. My husband is functioning well after 2 yrs of diagnosis, and all the children are well and so am I. and the thanksgiving day dinner dishes have been cleaned and put away. madelyn
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote