View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 01:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Brian:

You said this:
"Seeing your interested in learning a bit, here is a tip that gets rid of a lot of garbage in XP OS, useless files, but only do it about every 3 months, go to windows exployer/ d/click on C[ local disk] go down to windows then d/click, then run down to "prefetch folder" d/click again then go to edit [up top of page] click "Select All" then go to "file" [up top as well] run down to delete and click it, then just close windows exployer and carry on as normal."

Now is this the same as deleting the temporary files when you clean your cache??? I do this on a regular basis.

What is the difference?
melody
Melody,
Its a good idea to clean your tempory files "Cache files" on a regular basis, prefetching means that your computer will try to load every file it will need to boot, as fast as possible. Ahead of when they are needed. The system loads the files into RAM, into buffers. This speeds up the boot process because the system doesn't have to wait as long for files. It is much faster to get them from RAM than from the disk.

Some experts say its completely useless to empty the prefetch folder and others disagree, so its completely an individual decision, if you are only a light PC user then i wouldn't reccommend it at all, but i am a pretty heavy user and i believe it does help, because after some time you accumulate a lot of uneeded files and the prefetch folder gets bloated up, once all files in there are deleted, then windows automaticaly reloads the important files it needs in the prefetch folder so you can't do any harm at all by cleaning it out.

Opon the next reboot after deleting them, you will notice a bit slower starting up, this is because Windows is rebuilding the nessesary files it needs in the prefetch folder, but from then onwards i have found a definate improvement, but thats what i have noticed & and then the opposite will be said from others, so its completely your own decision.

Here is a handy tool that makes it easy to empty the prefetch folder, i wouldn't worry about the other options that are down the bottom, just the button up top to " empty the prefetch now " and if you do decide to do it, its best to do it after a few months of heavy pc using.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2495.html
all the best
Brian
Mel, can you ask Rocky if he is going to do another Rocky film, i am sick of watching the re runs.

Last edited by Brian; 11-26-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote