View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Help please, I'd like some feedback, possibly moderator..

Hey I'm looking for anything relative to levodopa toxicity. Maybe a moderator or some of you with a bit of experience can help here. The reason is that I saw the MDS today. As you may recall from an earlier posting he told me that my PD was psychological in nature and that the symptoms were in my psyche. He did not feel that I had true rigidity and scored me an 11 on the PD rating scale. That was about 2 mos ago. Today upon my visit he entered the room and stated, "I want you to listen to me, because I am going to say this for the last time." "Your symptoms are not that bad because of the PD." "This is in your brain, you take the pill (sinemet) and you feel better." "It's like a sort of placebo for you." He stated he did not want to follow me further because I would be taking the medication above the levels he would like me to be on and that the DBS procedure was in his words "a waste of resources in my case." I now take 2 sinemet 25/100 every 2-3 hours. His insistence is that the DBS is placed correctly (he was not the surgeon) and that it is functioning, I should not need this much medication. My view is that, it is what it is- I haven't been able to cut down but I don't have the dyskinesia as bad or at all since the DBS. He felt that this was not in fact how DBS works- it will not affect dyskinesia, control it or worsen it, only the PD symptoms will it affect. The dyskinesias are drug affect. So he agreed to see me once more if I follow his regimen. one sinemet 25/100 every 4 hours, at most 5 a day. He says that I am eventually going to have effects from the toxicity. Which manifest themselves as paranoia, hallucinations, even to the point of being violent in that I am having deluded thoughts that people are plotting against me, etc. and he relates that this could be as bad as I attack my wife thinking she is going to harm me!! I am very depressed regarding this. What kind of outlook do I have if I am going to be facing this or should I be back in my powerchair, walker and be stumbling around and falling because my sinemet is not where it is working for me. At the dose I was taking I was on 1,000 to at most 1,600 mg levodopa a day never more than that, and often less because I frequently nap during the day at being so darn worn out. So I miss a dose or 2. Adding that I often take 2 each dose in the morning then end up dosing down to sometimes 1 at a time even every 3 hours if I feel I am still on. If I go until I am off it is NEVER more than 3 hours in between. My wife says that if it gets to that where I am not in touch w/ reality "that's it for me." Yesterday I was walking, taking the dog out, etc till I went to bed because I took the meds as I felt they should be done. I am not looking forward to tommorrow morning when I start this new schedule but I assured him that I would give him a chance. So we'll see. Do any of you know of any evidence of levodopa toxicity at this level? I apologize if this seems run on or is hard to follow. I tried my best. Thanks
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote