View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb this may be

Meralgia Paresthetica.

MP comes from entrapment of the lateral femoral nerve which arises from the lumbar spine. It can become entrapped in scar tissue from abdominal surgery or back issues.

Figure 2B at this site shows where the nerve is:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2109.html

I have had this, and found Lidoderm patches placed at the top of the thigh where that nerve exits the abdomen, gave relief.
After using the patches for 14 days in a row, I had a remission of sorts. I was surprised after about 15 yrs of agony. I still get little reminders, if I overstretch the leg, but not often or as severe.
At one point I had severe pain (all after a C-section).
My MP started with odd sensations, feelings of hot water running down my leg, tingling/numbness and escalated to severe stabbing pain (like 100 beestings all at once). I only had it on the right side.
Some doctors feel, tight jeans, or keeping a wallet in the back pocket of tight pants, will make this worse.

You can Google Meralgia Paresthetica and find more. Some sites compare it to other hip
problems.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote