View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
We have a scanner that was my Dad's. They used to have it on ALL the time, and it drove me up the wall. Everybody had to "shhhh" while they listened, and there was always something going on.

I don't have it on all the time, but I have the local volunteer fire department programmed in, the local rescue squad, state police, fish & wildlife, highway department and local road crew. My neighbor gives a little "whoop" on his siren when they're toned out, and I turn on the scanner to keep track of them.

We also have my Dad's short wave radio that he got when he was in the Navy during WWII. My mom used to collect QSL cards (is that the right term?) and listen to folks from Belize during the night. They never transmitted, though, just listened.
Yes,that is the right term. QSL cards are sent to confirm that their station was heard. Some people do that in a contest. Some just talk. I listen.

Wow. A shortwave radio from WWII. My Dad was also in WWII in the Army Air Corp,which is now the US Air Force. I'll bet your dad sent Morse Code. They did allot of that in WWII.

So your neighbor gives you a "Woff",or a "Whoop",on their siren. They must be volunteers. Good for them. BF
Brokenfriend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote