View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I work part-time at Justice Court, where no good deed goes unpunished.

In the past, if I knew someone that owed on a ticket, I'd give them a courtesy call when the late penalty of $50 was going to kick in. Then I'd give them an extension of a week or two to get it paid.

Well, a month ago I called a lady's/defendant's daughter (I already had her cell number from church), and left a voice message that I was giving her an extension on her payment due date. So I get a call from a very irate mother (who apparently didn't know the daughter had voluntarily gave me the number). She viewed this as invasive, which I guess it was. (Other friends have been very appreciative).

So, no more "Mr. Nice Guy." I'll just send them their late letter. And no, I don't deduct $50 just because I know them. I'll do what I can within office protocol, but I don't do favors that would jeopardize my job.

BTW, the mother was STILL late paying the ticket and got charged the additional $50!

About cops issuing tickets -- just b/c someone has broken the law doesn't immediately warrant a ticket. The officers get to use their discretion on whether or not they issue a citation. For instance, I get a stack of tickets to input into the computer by re-typing the information so we can follow-up on whether they pay; sometimes the officer will give them a seatbelt ticket (which doesn't reflect on your driving record), and issue a "warning" for speeding.

Also, an FYI: Did you know that you can do a "plea in abeyance" to keep a speeding ticket off your insurance? This is an agreement between you, the judge and the prosecuting attorney. In our court it costs $25 and gives you the opportunity to pay a little extra to take Traffic School (which costs about $30). You can do it online in just a couple of hours or so.

The County District Attorney likes that people get educated on how to be better drivers which, after all, is the ultimate goal.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!

Last edited by Twinkletoes; 12-12-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (12-12-2008), who moi (12-12-2008)