Thread: Being a Burden
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llrn7470 View Post
I'm not sure that I can give advice as everyone's family situation and relationships are different, but you and I are in the same boat sister! When we had our second child, we decided that my husband would stay at home (he is a paramedic) and I would work like a fiend (I am an RN) since he makes about 1/3 of my salary. This was working, tight, but working. Know my elective knee surgery has blossomed into RSD. Now we live on my STD, Aflac, and his work. The problem is that I am like another child myself. I fall, can't walk without crutches, so I cannot carry anything that I want to someplace else, and cannot do stairs (laundry). It's hellish. We actually have to find a "babysitter" while he works the hours that he can because the meds I am on make me incredibly forgetful, sleepy, and unstable. My mother drives from an hour away (she's 75 and it snows here) or my mother-in-law does the weekends. It's a horrible rut to be in. Again, I promised no advice, but know that this happens to everyone that has some kind of incapcitating thing happen. I still cry when I look at my wedding pictures and tell my husband "This isn't what you signed up for, is it?" But he feels very differently. And I'll bet your family does too. Show them that your are trying with any therapy, PT, etc, and focus on anything you can do. The only way they will feel your are a burden is if your are trying to the best of your ability to get better. Even if it's been 8 years, don't give up! Get a big old insulated straw cup and do that PT. This may be more your feeling than theirs. Sending hugs
Lori Lee

Thanks Lori Lee, I needed to hear that. Sue