Thread: double shunting
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae Lee View Post
I would appreciate any information anyone could give me about colloid cyst surgery and shunting. My husband had to take me to the emergency room two weeks ago due to a 48+ hour headache that woke me up all night long and never went away. I have never had headaches before and I knew there was something wrong. I also learned not to just think you have a headache and dismiss it. My mother died one year ago Sept. 3 from a brain tumor that was caught way to late. (She went to a clinic because of a headache.) I have been diagnosed with a 7mm colloid cyst that is syptematic and I was told to consult a neurosurgeon and have it removed immediately. Well, they do not want to remove it due to the dangers and consequences. They want to put a double shunt in my head to drain my csf and hope that the cyst does not grow larger. If it does and there is a complete obstruction they will do an emergency craniotomy and remove the cyst and the shunts. It really just hit me today and I need some reassurance from anyone that has information about the double shunting. I was happier when I thought they could just go in and take it out and forget about it!
I believe the shunt is the worst way to go!!! I was diagnosed with a cc3rd ventricle in 6/6/05. After studying the literature extensively for two weeks I chose the more radical approach of stereotactic aspiration and removal. This surgery is by far more time (9-hr) vs shunt placement(2hr)., but after studying all the complications possible with shunts I still would do it again. That is, it has not been a rosy path after the surgery(3 years) but things are finally starting to turn around to the best.
Thomas Kaup is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote