View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks for that. It's one area that's still confusing to me after all these years. That's an excellent OC Foundation link you posted. There's so much OC overlap in so many different conditions that affect us here.

I guess in the long run though it doesn't matter what it's called, hey, just if it's so bad that it's disrupting our lives then we need to figure out how to treat it the right way.

There's actually been quite a lot of work done on researching hoarding in people with Tourette Syndrome which also has overlap with OC behaviours. An example of that research below. A lot of people with TS, for example, might experience compulsions without the obsessive thoughts... that is, without any anxiety. Same with Autism when I think about it. Simon Baron-Cohen wrote a extensive papers regarding the different behaviours between OCD in people with and without Autism. Ref: Folk Physics.

Then again, some people can have more than one condition at the same time, so that's where the water gets muddy and difficult to sort out. To outside onlookers, some of that hoarding type behaviour that is often seen in people with autism could look like OCD, but it's different.

Quote:
Depress Anxiety. 2002;16(2):59-63.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder with and without tics in a clinical sample of children and adolescents.
Hanna GL, Piacentini J, Cantwell DP, Fischer DJ, Himle JA, Van Etten M.

Department of Psychiatry, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0390, USA.

The purpose of this study was to discriminate subtypes of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in a clinical sample of children and adolescents. Sixty OCD patients were assessed in two outpatient psychiatric clinics; 15 patients had a lifetime history of tics and 45 patients had no tic history. Interviews were conducted with the patients and their parents by a child psychiatrist using the Children's Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale (CY-BOCS). The symptom checklist of the CY-BOCS was used to categorize obsessions and compulsions. Discriminant function analysis was used to compare the two groups in their symptomatology. There was no difference between the two groups in seven obsession categories. However, there was a significant difference between the two groups in seven compulsion categories. Ordering, hoarding, and washing compulsions were more common in those with no tic history. The results indicate that tic-related OCD may be differentiated from non-tic-related OCD early in life by the presence or absence of certain compulsive symptoms. Copyright 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 12219336 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
I find this an interesting subject and thanks for posting about it.

Last edited by Lara; 11-26-2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: adding "Folk Physics"