Thread: Being a Burden
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I totally understand what you are saying as I have gone (and still are) through this myself also.

I was 12 years old when I developed RSD in my left leg and right arm and I really felt like I was a burden to my mum. At that point, I was practically wheelchair bound and my mum had to carry me everywhere. I knew my mum cared about me and would do anything for me but I still felt that somehow, I was holding her back and she wasn't able to do all of the things that she wanted to do like go to work, go out and have some fun etc. I have spoken to my mum about this several times and she says that non of this is my fault - it's not my fault i'm ill and that I can't do some of the things that normal teenagers would do. She reassured me that everything was going to be OK and that if she didn't care about me - she wouldn't be looking after me as a caregiver.

One thing that has really helped my mum was talking to the doctors and also to a Psychologist. The Psychologist really explained things well to her and made her understand how I am feeling etc - that may be something to look into if you haven't already done so.

I wish you the very best and hope that you get things sorted soon - please know though that if your family didn't care about you, they wouldn't be looking after you right now.

Alison.
loretta jewell (12-26-2008), screwballpookie (12-15-2008)