View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 02:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post
Hi seiko,

Sorry to hear that you had such a scary incident with MRI. I've had so many MRI's, I can't even count them - seriously! More than 7 brain MRI's, and 2 back MRI's. I haven't *ever* had an experience like that.

The MRI machines are typically a big tube, like a straw. You must have been given a poor description of what an open MRI machine is like. No machine is just a big bed, without sides. They all have sides to get a more clear picture of the anatomy. I think it's pretty amazing that they could get imaging of your brain without a top above you!

Anyway, onto the burning sensation. You are told to lie completely still, to get a clear image. As you lay there, the sides of the machine move back and forth, rotates, click and "wah-wah" away. Perhaps the MRI machine without the top has a different way of getting the image of the top. I don't know.

Just thought I'd share my knowledge & experience - hope it makes you feel a teeny bit better. Maybe not.
Hugs 2u,
Shez
Hi Shez, the MRI was supposed to be an open MRI. I looked like a closed MRI except the sides were open.I still went through the tube. This was not a "true open MRI".
I talked to some people who said that this MRI was not an open MRI. I asked them so if it is not open what was it? He said it was a regular MRI , and false advertising.

I received an email from a lady a few weeks ago...she had the same experience as I did. She also tried making a complain to the facility and the doctor, but they all made her feel that it was her problem.

I am glad that you did not have any incidents, and yes it was very traumatic being stuck in the machine with the heat sensation and unresponsive technician.Here is some more data:

Pennsylvania is the only state that requires mandatory reporting of all MRI incidents (under Pennsylvania Act 13 of 2003). "Over a 10 year period the FDA cataloged a total of 389 incidents in MRI facilities across the US (an average rate of less than one incident per state per year). Contrast this with the data from the Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority which, over just a 16-month period, tallied 88 MRI incidents from those facilities which are subject to mandatory state reporting".

Last edited by seiko; 12-14-2008 at 07:53 AM.
seiko is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote