View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 07:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pain increase only while pressure is dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I'll thank our son for the answer on this one... he's a professional Meteorologist who works for the National Weather Service...

The changes in barometric pressure are what cause pain; once the barometer stabilizes, either high, low, or somewhere in between, your body will adjust to whatever the ambient pressure is. But, either a rise or a fall in atmospheric pressure will cause internal organs, capillaries, nerves and such to either expand or contract ever-so-slightly, but plenty enough to make your pain sensory nerves notice the effect.
I thought a bit about the above statement, yes, probably a scientific fact that pressure changes in either direction will cause the pain increase we complain about, however, I do not think I experience such a feeling when the pressure is rising. Maybe an X-factor called sunshine might have something to do with it.

I know when a major snowstorm in the winter is approaching and you get the dark gray dampish sky for perhaps up to a day before the storm begins, that I start feeling bad at the point of the gloomy skies, and I assume a falling barometer.

But, when the storm is almost over, and sometimes you get those peaks of sun through the clouds while snow flurries are still tapering off, I usually am over the depressed, painful feelings. So, I think that for me, it is more of a one way street of pressure dropping for the pain and depression that comes with it and I am not affected by the increase in pressure which almost always comes with Mr Sunshine! :>)

What say you all?

Jyes
Jyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote