View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
My 13 yo son gets tics with stimulant meds. Unfortunately, stimulant meds seem to be the only thing that keeps in the classroom. He has sensory issues and becomes much more disruptive in the classroom without the stimulants. He is also in the Gifted and Talented classes and his lack of control, plus his lack of insight (Asperger's) is about to get him in a host of trouble: the teachers have a hard time believing this behavior isn't willful acting out. Each year it starts anew, because of new teachers, these teachers haven't seen the difference with the med.
Marleo, you may not read here anymore as I see you only have a couple of posts, and it's been a long time since you posted and I've been away but with just reading the first paragraph of your message there are a few things that stand out to me personally. You mention "Asperger's". You mention tics, sensory issues, disruptive in class. Teachers.

Frankly, the teachers need educating. If your son has an AS diagnosis and also has a tic disorder and attention difficulties etc. then you really need to look into getting more support in the school system. It's so much more available these days. 13 years of age is a difficult time for anyone, let alone a child who has Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis and other differences. My son went misdiagnosed for many years. The emphasis was always on the tics (from doctors and teachers and others I mean). I honestly can't tell you how many times I've read messages on forums where AS diagnosis is mentioned almost in passing. In my humble opinion it's where the focus should lie.

The real emphasis should have been in helping him steer his way through the maze and mayhem of a regular day in school. My advice with just reading this one message, and just being a mum, is to get more advice from the person who diagnosed your son with Asperger's Syndrome and to get some support in place in school. There are many practical things which can be done to make the classroom feel less like a war zone.

Whenever I see parents posting on TS boards who have children with multiple diagnoses or multiple signs and symptoms and who are also diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, I just want to say (scream very loudly actually )... focus on learning more about Asperger's Syndrome and many questions you may have about your child will fall into place. Often because tics might be more visible to everyone else a child's difficulties in other areas might tend not to be noticed as much.

The teachers need educating! Please tell us more about his classroom situation if you come back to read.

There are a number of really good resources for parents of children with mulitple diagnoses and if you come back and let us know how your son and you are getting on then we can post more for you.

take care,
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (12-14-2008)