View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabimax View Post
Hey nice time of year to have a child back in the home....if you ever feel too empty remember...I siad I have five I can share..hehehehe

just teasing...yesterday I had to pull a all day at work...I was there 7am-330pm...then had to work 5-11pm...so it wasnt worth the trip home to turn back around....I was almost in tears when telling hubby that I wont be home...as I was thinking of not seeing the little ones...all day!!

anyhow glad your DD will be home...and you will have some time before Texas...wow I am pround of the work she is doing!! Is that something voluntary...?? and does she work then on side for money...or is it a school thing?? curious...as mine get older hehe...hgusss,sarah
Sarah -- Oh, that would be so hard, to have to work a double shift like that, with little ones at home. I was always fortunate that I was able to work just part time when my kids were growing up. Although I loved my job, I also loved my days off. I'd wake up in the morning, on a day that I wouldn't have to go to work, and I'd think -- YES! -- I get to stay home with my kids today. It was a really nice balance for me. I don't think I would've been so thrilled every morning if I was a full time stay at home home mom.

About your question. DD graduated from HS in May. She is currently volunteering through a church agency (Mennonite Disaster Service). They have long term volunteers (a months or more -- she plans to stay 7 months) and short term volunteers (Less than a month -- often just a week or two). Lots of youth groups and senior citizens choose to do the short term volunteer work. Some people work as cooks, etc, instead of home building.

They provide a small monthly allowance, I believe, and transportation to the project (they paid to fly her there, and to fly her home for Christmas), housing and meals. She has to provide her own health insurance, but most of her support is provided, in return for her volunteer work.

You can find out more about them, if you want, by googling "Mennonite Disaster Service". Many service and mission agencies require that volunteer raise their own support through donations from friends and family. We felt fortunate that we didn't need to do that with MDS.

My husband and I, before we were married (and, again, after) volunteered through "Mennonite Voluntary Service". That's how we met. And, back in 1959-1960, my mom volunteered through them too. So, DD is the third generation in my family to do voluntary service work. Yes, Sarah, I am very proud of her.

PM me, or email me if you want more info. You don't have to be Mennonite to volunteer with either of them.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote