Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
My question is...

If Rebif is the SAME drug as Avonex, only stronger, and more frequently, WHY is Avonex not cheaper? Its LESS of the same med, and only ONE shot per week, versus rebif being MORE med, and MORE supplies as in three times a week, yet, the cost remains virtually identical.

Who makes up these rules?
Going on memory, which isn't THAT great , Avonex was the first of that type of interferon that was researched and put on the market. (Betaseron was already on the market, but a different type of interferon.) Biogen came along with Rebif, and virtually all they had to do was double the dosage, run a 6 month trial to prove increased efficacy, and that was enough to get it on the market. (They eventually carried on with the two year, then a 4 yr trail though ...).

The makers of Avonex put up a pretty good fight that they had a patent on that interferon, but Biogen won the fight based on interim efficacy numbers. In the end, I think Rebif didn't prove to much more effective, but the patent was broken by that point anyway . . .

It seems that neurologists (and insurance companies) make their "recommendations" based on affiliations more than anything else. All of the CRABs have basically the same efficacy, so it doesn't really matter what they recommend or cost. Ultimately the decision is often based on tolerance though.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (12-14-2008)