View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicory View Post
Evonne-
It doesn't seem like a good time to be off all meds- when you are working and still on probation. I would try to go back to work- get a brace for your knee and take Mirapex if you have to. I don't think you are ready to apply for disability yet, from what I've read of your story. Just try to be more careful with the lifting.

When is your next appointment with the MDS? Why hasn't the EMG been scheduled yet? Did he say how long he wanted you to stay off meds? Mirapex worked great for me when I was first diagnosed and allowed me to do things I couldn't do otherwise.

I went to a prominent MDS who told me there was nothing wrong with me. He was very upsetting. I was dxed with Parkinson's about 6 years later. No, my symptoms did not appear to be Parkinson's at the time I saw the MDS, but there was something neurologically wrong. It didn't become obvious that it was Parkinson's until later when I started having difficulty getting up from a chair and developed a tremor. I took Neurontin during the time I was undxed. If the MDS does not want you taking a Parkinson's med, maybe he would prescribe Neurontin for you so that you can work.
Chicory,

If you want to read my response to CTenaLouise above, you will see some of the reasons that my doctor took me off. I think it might also be because of something to with the EMG test as well. Maybe the meds would have skewed the results??? The MDS is also considering the possibility of Stiff Person Syndrome and I would need an entirely different medication for that. When I did call and tell him about how bad I was feeling, he suggested Artane. I did some reading up on that and decided against trying it. I am confused as to why he considered putting me on another PD drug if he doesn't think it is PD, but I really didn't question it.

I have no idea why the EMG hasn't been scheduled yet. I think it has to do with the referral. I called the office of the Neurologist that is supposed to perform the EMG on Friday, but they were closed. I left a message letting them know that I really want to get the ball rolling and get this scheduled. I will call again on Monday.

As far as my knee is concerned, I can't return to work until I am able to perform all of the duties of my job. The doctor has me in a knee immobilizer(mid-thigh to mid-calf) and I am not allowed to bend my knee. I was told to try bearing weight on it so that is what I am doing. Out of curiousity, I did try using a flexible neoprene brace but each time I bend and try to pivot or just step the wrong way my knee gives out. I think I am going to ask to see an orthopedic doctor for a second opinion. Something just doesn't seem right to me.

I am puzzled by all of the different things that are going on in my body, as was my first Neurologist. He didn't have the greatest bedside manner, but I have heard from many doctors that he was a very smart man. It seems that my many different symptoms had him thinking different things. Some symptoms of PD, some symptoms of other things. I feel that the new MDS is also a little perplexed by my symptoms. I do think that he is doing the right thing by trying to rule out other more obvious things first...beginning with the red flags that he found just sitting in my medical chart. He has a very systematical approach and I think that he will get to the bottom of things. I think it is just going to take time and that is what is so difficult. Waiting and feeling poorly. It would not surprise me to find out that I have PD, plus something else. I am trying to leave things in the hands of the doctor's though or I will probably drive myself nuts. Thanks for your concern and advice.

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote