View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

1) Don't underestimate the effects of stress. It may well be the main culprit here. Sciatica can be one of the worst pains imaginable and chronic pain can be one of the worst stressors. Her "ability to work"? Most of us work well past the point that we should have quit.
2) Steroids can be very bad news. Her body pumps them out in response to stress and the shots added a surge. How was the timing vis-a-vis her gait and balance problems?
3) Is her sciatica definitely caused by disc problems warranting surgery? Anyone showed you an X-ray that convinced you? Sciatica can also result from stress causing a spasm of a muscle in the upper hip called the piriformis. For many people, the sciatic nerve passes through the muscle which clamps down harder with the pain. A massage therapist can help if that is the problem.
4) If surgery is unavoidable, use the search tool here and find a post I put up a year or two ago about anesthetics and PWP. I think it is in one of the "sticky" threads. Make sure that all concerned read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990nyboy View Post
My wife has now had PD for about 5 years. For the first four years the Parkinson's was more of an annoyance than anything else. In the last year it has become appreciably worse. She is seeing a pretty decent MDS, although his availability is generally minimal between visits.

Susan has no tremor, but has rigidity. The rigidity is generally pretty responsive to Sinemet. She is on 25-100 four times per day. She is also taking Mirapex 0.5 1 tab two times a day and 1.5 tabs two times a day. In addition she is on Azilect 1 mg.

Recently the rigidity has become far worse at night than what it was previously. But the most difficult problem is that her gait and balance have deteriorated dramatically over the last month or so.

The other complicating issue is that she has had a severe back problem (sciatica) that causes excruciating pain for which she has gotten a series of steroid shots. They helped for a short period, but would begin to "wear off" after a few weeks. For the back problem she will be having surgery this coming week and has already started working with a great physical therapist who is expert in working with PD.

To some degree it is hard to differentiate the back from the PD regarding gait and maybe balance and I am sure we will get things clearer after rehab from the surgery.

I wanted to ask people what your experience has been with gait and balance problems: have you seen things deteriorate this rapidly? is there any helpful treatment for gait and balance? Right now more than anything else (other than the pain from the back problem) gait and balance are really the worst things that she is dealing with regarding the PD. These are becoming severe and really are affecting her ability to work and function on a daily basis.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Howard
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote