View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 12:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default With hold the taxes up front? I don't know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1956x View Post
I was wondering if you are required to have Federal Income Tax withheld from your back pay? I know that a portion of it is taxable, but I'm wondering if they have to take it out upfront. Thanks

My check arrived so fast, I honestly did not know they could with hold taxes until later. The whole thing was a mess. Don't get me wrong, I was pleased to get the check, but when my tax friend told me I had to pay those taxes from withholding, not by just sending the IRS a check for whatever I owed them.......it was ... uh.....March??? So I had to increase my with holding about $500 a month for the rest of the year. That was after I had put the SSDI check into a CD for a year. All that good news at one time...

IF you can contact SSDI and ask them to withhold before they send you the check, I think it would work better for you...... I don't know, each of us have different priorities. A friend of mine is losing his home and he wants every penny he can get asap. He said he would worry about taxes next year.

I don't know if this helps you, but ... to my knowledge and I learned this after I had my check, I think they can withhold from it. BUT you have to tell them ahead of time. I hope I said that right. I am having reactions to some meds right now... high blood pressure meds changed twice now, Perepheral Neuropothy meds, Restless Legs Syndrome meds and Fibromyalgia are all .......... out of whack. Take care, Dave
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (03-11-2009)