Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default excercise?

Hello Alstor,
If you have PD, exercise is probably one of the most important things for you after proper food consumption.
I was an athlete (gymnast) and have worked out all my life, and when PD hit me at 53, it became more and more difficult to move, run, walk etc. My right hand is shutting down slowly but surely, but I find that no matter how much this condition, PD, makes you feel like not doing anything, working through it always feels better than giving in and not doing anything. It really is a mind over matter thing... PD doesn't kill, what PD discourages you from doing will kill you, and that is using your body... Medicine as it is today, does not cure PD, but masks it at best and is addictive at worst... Unfortunately, unpleasantly true... I am staying away from any medicine as long as I can. I get massages from my wife when my muscle spams, cramps are severe, and I stretch like an athlete gymnast, which helps a lot... I work on controlling my thoughts because bad thoughts depress dopamine production... I work on controling my drive, because over drive produces too much adrenaline which also suppresses domine production... It is a hard balancing act to learn... I have not started acupuncture but do receive acpressure, which seems to calm down my tremors...
To sum it up, you have to think like and become a kind of health athlete, because until anyone gets a handle on PD, the medicine could be worse than the cure...
Alagna.
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstro View Post
Hello. I was wondering how exercise affects other people with PD. I have read that it is important for people with PD to exercise and my doctor continues to encourage me to do so, but I am always much more symptomatic after I exercise. When I exercise in the morning, I am pretty much off for the rest of the day even with meds. I am 21 and want to keep in shape, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to do. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post. Thank you for your time.
alagna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote