View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triste View Post
Dr. Avery told me on this written consent form that if I had surgery before there was a 1% increase per surgery in chance of damage to phrenic nerve.In my opinion that is a STUPID statistic , and means nothing.
So that might bring my chances up to a whopping 8 %. He told me he had done 25 prior patients. He told me none of their post-surgical problems were permanent. I believe he told me of at least 2 winging scapulaes and of another phrenic nerve problem. If he had only done 25 prior to me--then what % is 3 out of 25 for winged scapula? and at least 2 out of 25 for Phrenic nerve paralysis.

No, Nath so far has not ventured into TOS surgery that I know of--he does children born with birth injuries of brachial plexus damage, muscle transfers and more--and any adult with same that he says he can help..He is a PLASTIC surgeon--who I feel has violated ethics of a physician in the way he solicits patients and more. Triste.
Triste,
Unfortunatly in my opinion; at the point he said he did 25 TOS surgeries, I would have thanked him for his time and had a second opinion or third with other doctors.

It maybe that your body had anomolies and scaring your surgeon was not use to and was in over the head. In TOS surgery, you have to test every structure for nerve activity before you snip. If there is massive scar matter, gray or whitish fibrous matter entangled, it is difficult even for doctors thave done hundreds of surgeries.

After having surgery with a doctor that ran into problems and it was so much over his head he just closed up, and/or continued and hoped for improvement this creates a very difficult situation for other doctors to try to help the clinical finding they run into.

Personally, by the time the findings say TOS surgery is the only thing to help, "with neurogenic TOS", as I said, personally, I think it is too far gone. All you can hope for is to clean up scar matter and disentagling it from nearby structures as the cervical nerves of the brachial plexus and see if that helps.

All doctors have had some problem at sometime in their career. They would have to. But, whether it is the problem of the bodies own anomolies, such as weird wiring, mis-shaped or placed muscle pattens, scalense that have vascular or neuro bundles coming through where they shouldn't, extra ribs, mis-shaped ribs, or collar bone all this adds to the complciations. IR is it doctor negligence, or did he just get into a surgery he could not help?

Especially with the pherenic nerve. This nerve trypically lies against the scalense structure. With scaring, previous surgery, who knows where it migrates to. In my daughters second surgery it could not even be located amid the scar matter and its migrations toward the spine someplace.

The surgeon, took an xray to watch the lung reinflate to be certain it was nt injured and only then could sigh a breath of relief. We knew the risk, but so much scarring it just had to be cleaned up. Her lung and pherenic was fine.

The post about Ahn, I don't know much about him...but, in our area a few doctors have found money in opening their own surgical centers....They leave hospitals and are know on their own, or with others doctors there.

I know that you have had a huge problem with surgery and botox. Not everyone does. It is good to understand that those that ahd problems what they were and how the doctors deal with them, but be careful. IT isn't healthy for you to be stressed, braced, and emotionally on peak .

I asked in one of your post were you the same person on the Brain Talk forum that posted pictures and complications you had with botox?
It has been a long battle if so.

To heal as much as you can, focus on your needs. A plan for each day to get the max out of it you can.
A shower to loosen, a good pain management or pain pump to help with taht. Maybe McConnel taping for your wings, even biofeedback. I was amess with stress over my family problems and my own accident and TOS that caused me to lose my career and have to retrain.

But with a great Psych, I found a new life, I morned the old one, had a lot of anger for years how it was stolen. I didn't forgive....but I did learn to go on with the new life and get out of every day what I could.

I truely wish that you can find some help, it sounds like such a tough situation.

Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote