View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cipro caused flareup

Hello everybody. This is my first posting in several years. My PN has largely been stable or very slowly improving until this past week, with little pain or numbness.

Two weeks ago, a urologist prescribed a three week course of Cipro to treat acute prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate). The main symptom has been an irresistible urge to urinate when my bladder is full. My prostate is not enlarged, so flow is good. The urologist explained that the prostate is encapsulated and has poor blood flow, especially if inflamed. A two to four week course of powerful antibiotics is needed to slowly knock down the infection.

The first week on Cipro was no problem, with no digestive upset and no obvious side effects. I did feel generally achy and had relatively low energy, but didn't associate that with the Cipro. Then achiness in my feet dramatically increased a week or so ago, especially after my daily walk or hike of several miles. The achiness progressed into the old, familiar, and very unwelcome shocky breakthrough pain, throbbing, and supersensitive skin surface has returned in my feet, and to a lesser degree my legs.

The Merck Manual mentions Cipro effects on tendons, ligaments, joints, and nerves, stating that symptoms usually resolve when the drug is discontinued. I'd like to finish the last 6 days of the Cipro. Is this wise? Should I contact my urologist for either another antibiotic or with his OK to quit the drug? The prostatitis is still there with little improvement. I'd certainly not look forward to possible surgery, or chronic and debilitating infection, or wearing a diaper at my very young age (66 LOL). The urge to pee is life changing in its intensity, especially when it occurs during a walk with no private place to turn into or hide.

Meanwhile, resuming daily yoga has seemed to help, and I'm continuing with supplements, exercise, and a good diet. I'll greatly appreciate any other suggestions.

Love to all.

Last edited by Wing42; 12-15-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Wing42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote